Localization Overview of Web Applications
This chapter provides tutorial examples and notes about Web application localization. Topics include what is localization; software components in Web applications; travel paths of output and input character strings; outputting ASCII character from PHP scripts.
What Is Localization / Internationalization
Localization of Web Based Applications
Character String Traveling Paths
Output ASCII Character Strings from PHP Scripts
- Localization is mainly a process of managing input and output character strings in a specific language tailored
to the end user.
- In a Web application, characters must travel through different paths involving a number of programs
- ASCII characters have no problems to travel through different programs and systems.
- Non ASCII characters must be encoded into a safe format to travel through different programs and systems.
- Tutorial notes are provided in the next 5 chapters for handling non ASCII characters in different areas:
HTML documents, PHP string literals, HTML input forms, PHP string functions, and MySQL databases.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction and Installation of PHP 7.3
PHP Script File Syntax
PHP Data Types and Data Literals
Variables, References, and Constants
Expressions, Operations and Type Conversions
Conditional Statements - "if" and "switch"
Loop Statements - "while", "for", and "do ... while"
Function Declaration, Arguments, and Return Values
Arrays - Ordered Maps
Introduction of Class and Object
Integrating PHP with Apache Web Server
Retrieving Information from HTTP Requests
Creating and Managing Sessions in PHP Scripts
Sending and Receiving Cookies in PHP Scripts
Controlling HTTP Response Header Lines in PHP Scripts
MySQL Server Connection and Access Functions
Functions to Manage Directories, Files and Images
SOAP Extension Function and Calling Web Services
SOAP Server Functions and Examples
►Localization Overview of Web Applications
Using Non-ASCII Characters in HTML Documents
Using Non-ASCII Characters as PHP Script String Literals
Receiving Non-ASCII Characters from Input Forms
"mbstring" Extension and Non-ASCII Encoding Management
Managing Non-ASCII Character Strings with MySQL Servers
Configuring and Sending out Emails
Full Version in PDF/EPUB