Nucleobase, Nucleoside, Nucleotide, DNA and RNA
This chapter provides quick introductions about DNA and RNA and their building blocks: Nucleobases, Nucleosides, Nucleotides.
What Is Nucleobase
What Is Nucleoside
What Is Nucleotide
What Is Nucleic Acid
What Is RNA (Ribonucleic Acid)
What Is DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid)
RNA Primary Structure - Helix
DNA Primary Structure - Double Helix
What Is DNA/RNA Base and Sequence Pair
What Is Chromosome
- There only 5 primary nucleobases found in nature that are used as information carriers
in DNA and RNA structures: Adenosine (A), Cytidine (C), Guanosine (G), Thymidine (T) and Uridine (U).
- A nucleoside is formed by a nucleobase and a 5-carbon sugar through a condenstation reaction.
- A nucleotide is formed by a nucleoside and a phosphate through a condenstation reaction.
- A nucleic acid is formed by a sequence of nucleotides through condenstation reactions
- The backbone of a nucleic acid is the linked sequence of sugar-phosphate residue pairs.
- Nucleobase residues in a nucleic acid are attached to sugar residues like leaves of the backbone.
- A RNA (Ribonucleic Acid) is a special nucleic acid that uses only riboses as sugars and 4 nucleobases:
Adenosine (A), Cytidine (C), Guanosine (G), and Uridine (U).
- A DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) is a special nucleic acid that uses only deoxyriboses as sugars and 4 nucleobases:
Adenosine (A), Cytidine (C), Guanosine (G), and Thymidine (T).
- Single DNA/RNA sequence stays in a helix conformation as the primary structure.
- Two complementary DNA/RNA sequences becomes a sequence pair and
stays in a double helix conformation as the primary structure.
- A DNA/RNA double helix relies on their complementary nucleobases to form base pairs.
- A DNA/RNA base pair is pair of complementary nucleobases linked by hydrogen bonds.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of Molecules
Molecule Names and Identifications
Protein and Amino Acid
►Nucleobase, Nucleoside, Nucleotide, DNA and RNA
Gene and Chromosome
Protein Kinase (PK)
SDF (Structure Data File)
RDKit: Open-Source Cheminformatics Software
PyMol GUI and CLI
PyMol Editing Functions
PyMol Measurement Functions
PyMol Movie Functions
PyMol Python Integration
PyMol Object Functions
ChEMBL Database - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
PubChem Database - National Library of Medicine
PDB (Protein Data Bank)
INSDC (International Nucleotide Sequence Database Collaboration)
Resources and Tools
Molecule Related Terminologies
Full Version in PDF/EPUB