Comparing JPEG High Quality Levels
This section provides a quick comparison of image quality of JPEG image files with different compression quality levels 95%, 90%, and 85%.
One main advantage of using JPEG image file format is that you can increase the compression rate by lower
the quality level to reduce the file size. Let's compare 3 high quality levels: 95%, 90% and 85%.
1. Open GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral.xcf and save it as GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral_095.jpg
in JPEG format with a 95 quality level.
2. Open GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral.xcf and save it as GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral_090.jpg
in JPEG format with a 90 quality level.
3. Open GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral.xcf and save it as GIMP-Red-Gradient-Spiral_085.jpg
in JPEG format with a 85 quality level.
4. Open all JPEG files with Microsoft Paint and view them in Zoom/Large Size mode.
We can do comparison of different JPEG quality levels now:
- Image saved with a JPEG quality level of 85%: The quality deterioration is very visible.
85% is actually considered as a good quality by Microsoft, because its Paint program
always uses 85% as the compression quality level to save JPEG image files.
- Image saved with a JPEG quality level of 90%: The quality deterioration is still noticeable.
As a comparison, 91% is considered as the STD (Standard) quality by Sony for my digital camera.
- Image saved with a JPEG quality level of 95% and 100%: The quality deterioration is not noticeable any more.
My Sony digital camera uses 97% as the Fine quality level.
Of course, higher JPEG quality level results larger image file size:
Last update: 2008.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction to Microsoft Windows
Introduction to Windows Explorer
Introduction to Internet Explorer
"Paint" Program and Computer Graphics
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
►JPEG Image File Format Quality and Size
Saving Images in JPG/JPEG Format
Saving Images in BMP (Windows Bitmap) Format
Comparing File Sizes of Image File Formats
►Comparing JPEG High Quality Levels
Comparing JPEG Low Quality Levels
GIF Image File Format and Transparent Background
"WinZip" - ZIP File Compression Tool
"WinRAR" - RAR and ZIP File Compression Tool
FTP Server, Client and Commands
"FileZilla" - Free FTP Client and Server
Web Server Log Files and Analysis Tool - "Analog"
Spyware Adware Detection and Removal
IE Addon Program Listing and Removal
Vundo (VirtuMonde/VirtuMundo) - vtsts.dll Removal
Trojan and Malware "Puper" Description and Removal
VSToolbar (VSAdd-in.dll) - Description and Removal
Spybot - Spyware Blocker, Detection and Removal
Setting Up and Using Crossover Cable Network
Home Network Gateway - DSL Modem/Wireless Router
Windows Task Manager - The System Performance Tool
"tasklist" Command Line Tool to List Process Information
"msconfig" - System Configuration Tool
Configuring and Managing System Services
Windows Registry Key and Value Management Tools
Startup Programs Removal for Better System Performance
Winsock - Windows Sockets API
Java on Windows
Glossary of Terms
PDF Printing Version