PKI Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 2.03, by Dr. Herong Yang
Getting Server Certificate Signed by CAcert.org
This section provides a tutorial example on how to submit a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) to CAcert.org to get a free server certificate.
With the CSR (Certificate Signing Request) for my domain name, herongyang.com, ready, I can go back to CAcert.org to finish the process of getting my free certificate now.
1. Go to CAcert.org and "Password Login" to my account.
2. Click "New" under the "Server Certificate" menu. The "CSR (Certificate Signing Request)" page shows up.
3. Copy and paste the entire content of my CSR file, herongyang_com.csr, into the CSR area.
4. Click "Submit" button. CAcert.org verifies that the domain name included in the CSR is a valid domain name in my CAcert.org account and issues a server certificate to me.
5. CAcert.org also sends me an email and gives a link to a Web page with my server certificate:
6. Copy and paste my server certificate from the Web page into a text file, herongyang_com.crt.
Congratulations, I have a server certificate for herongyang.com signed by CAcert.org now! I will upgrade my Web site to HTTPS later when I am ready.
Last update: 2011.
Table of Contents