"Folder" Objects Representing File Folders
This section describes Folder object and its properties and methods. A tutorial example is provided on how to list all properties of a file folder.
Folder: An object representing a folder in a file system.
It offers the following properties and methods:
- "Attributes": Property to return the attributes of the folder.
- "DateCreated": Property to return the date and time when the folder was created.
- "DateLastAccessed": Property to return the date and time when the folder was last accessed.
- "DateLastModified": Property to return the date and time when the folder was last modified.
- "Drive": Property to return the driver letter of the folder.
- "Files": Property to return a read-only collection of "File" objects representing all the files in the folder.
- "IsRootFolder": Property to return true if the folder is a root folder.
- "Name": Property to return the name of the folder.
- "ParentFolder": Property to return the "Folder" object of the parent folder.
- "Path": Property to return the path string of the folder.
- "ShortName": Property to return the name of the folder in 8.3 format.
- "ShortPath": Property to return the path string of the folder in 8.3 format.
- "Size": Property to return the size of the folder in bytes.
- "SubFolders": Property to return a read-only collection of "Folder" objects representing all the sub folders in the path string of the folder.
- "Copy(destination[,true|false])": Method to copy everything in the folder to the specified destination. The optional
argument [true|false] specifies that the copy operation will override any existing files and sub folders.
- "Delete([true|false])": Method to delete everything in the folder. The optional [true|false] argument specifies
that the delete operation will delete the read-only files and sub folders.
- "Move(destination)": Method to move the folder to the specified destination.
- "CreateTextFile(filename[,true|false[,true|false]])": Methode to create a text file in the folder.
The first optional [true|false] argument specifies that the new file override existing file, and the
second one specifies that the file will be created in Unicode. I am not sure in what encoding.
The following VBScript example showing you how the Folder object can be used to list all the information
about a folder:
- Copyright (c) 2015, HerongYang.com, All Rights Reserved.
' Creating a FileSystemObject object
set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
' Getting a specific folder
set f = fs.GetFolder("c:\inetpub\wwwroot")
' Displaying folder information
document.writeln("Path = " & f.Path)
document.writeln("Name = " & f.Name)
document.writeln("Short Name = " & f.ShortName)
document.writeln("Short Path = " & f.ShortPath)
document.writeln("Drive = " & f.Drive)
document.writeln("Size = " & f.Size)
document.writeln("Attributes = " & f.Attributes)
document.writeln("Date created = " & f.DateCreated)
document.writeln("Is Root Folder = " & f.IsRootFolder)
set l = f.SubFolders
for each sf in l
document.writeln("Sub Folder = " & sf.Name)
set l = f.Files
for each sf in l
document.writeln("File = " & sf.Name)
When you load this example into IE, you will get a security warning.
You can ignore it and get the output:
Tests on the folder tree:
Path = C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
Name = wwwroot
Short Name = wwwroot
Short Path = C:\inetpub\wwwroot
Drive = c:
Size = 439424
Attributes = 48
Date created = 4/19/2000 3:16:15 PM
Is Root Folder = False
Sub Folder = asp
Sub Folder = aspnet_client
Sub Folder = images
Sub Folder = list
Sub Folder = _private
Sub Folder = _vti_cnf
Sub Folder = _vti_log
Sub Folder = _vti_pvt
Sub Folder = _vti_script
Sub Folder = _vti_txt
File = default.asp
File = default.htm
File = hello.asp
File = hello.html
File = help.gif
File = iisstart.asp
File = localstart.asp
File = mmc.gif
File = pagerror.gif
File = postinfo.html
File = print.gif
File = warning.gif
File = web.gif
File = win2000.gif
File = _vti_inf.html
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of VBScript - Visual Basic Scripting Edition
Variant Data Type, Subtypes, and Literals
Numeric Comparison Operations and Logical Operations
String Operations - Concatenation and Comparison
Variable Declaration and Assignment Statement
Expression and Order of Operation Precedence
Statement Syntax and Statement Types
Array Data Type and Related Statements
Array References and Array Assignment Statements
Conditional Statements - "If ... Then" and "Select Case"
Loop Statements - "For", "While", and "Do"
"Function" and "Sub" Procedures
Inspecting Variables Received in Procedures
Error Handling Flag and the "Err" Object
Regular Expression Pattern Match and Replacement
►scrrun.dll - Scripting Runtime DLL Library
Scripting Runtime DLL Library Overview
"Dictionary" Objects to Store Keys and Values
"FileSystemObject" Objects to Manage File Systems
"Drive" Objects Representing Disk Drives
►"Folder" Objects Representing File Folders
"File" Objects Representing Files
"TextStream" Objects Representing File Input and Output
Creating Your Own Classes
IE Web Browser Supporting VBScript
IIS ASP Server Supporting VBScript
WSH (Windows Script Host)
Full Version in PDF/EPUB