What Is an Array?
This section provides an introduction of what is an array. VBScript supports fixed size arrays and dynamic size arrays.
Like many other programming languages, VBScript supports the concept of array as a built-in data structure
with the following features:
- An array can be used to store a collection of data elements.
- VBScript supports two types of arrays: fixed size array and dynamic size array
- A fixed size array is an array declared with a fixed number of elements.
- A dynamic size array is an array declared with no size. But its size can be dynamically changed later many times.
- An array must be associated to a variable for referencing.
- Each element in an array is associated with a unique index number.
By default, index number starts from 0.
- A specific element in an array can be referred by the index number.
- A number of built-in functions are provided to work with arrays.
- The "For Each" loop statement is provided as an easy way to loop through all elements in an array.
- "Erase" statement is provided as a quick way to remove all values from an array.
Other sections of this chapter provide more details on how define an array and how to use an array.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of VBScript - Visual Basic Scripting Edition
Variant Data Type, Subtypes, and Literals
Numeric Comparison Operations and Logical Operations
String Operations - Concatenation and Comparison
Variable Declaration and Assignment Statement
Expression and Order of Operation Precedence
Statement Syntax and Statement Types
►Array Data Type and Related Statements
►What Is an Array?
"Dim x()" - Declaring Array Variables
"x(i)" - Accessing Array Elements with Indexes
"Dim x(n)" - Fixed-Size Array Example
"Dim x()" - Dynamic-Size Array Example
"For Each" Statement Example
"Erase" Statement - Removing All Elements in an Array
Data Type "Variant()" - Array of Variant Values
Array References and Array Assignment Statements
Conditional Statements - "If ... Then" and "Select Case"
Loop Statements - "For", "While", and "Do"
"Function" and "Sub" Procedures
Inspecting Variables Received in Procedures
Error Handling Flag and the "Err" Object
Regular Expression Pattern Match and Replacement
scrrun.dll - Scripting Runtime DLL Library
Creating Your Own Classes
IE Web Browser Supporting VBScript
IIS ASP Server Supporting VBScript
WSH (Windows Script Host)
PDF Printing Version