Perl Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - 6.00, by Dr. Herong Yang
Running Perl Scripts in "htdocs"
This section describes how to change Apache HTTP server configuration and run Perl CGI (Common Gateway Interface) scripts in the default DocumentRoot directory: \local\apache\htdocs.
With Apache default configuration, Perl CGI scripts can only be executed in the CGI (./cgi-bin) folder. If you want to run Perl CGI scripts in the HTML documents (./htdocs) folder, you need make some configuration changes as described below:
1. Open the Apache configuration file, \local\apache\conf\httpd.conf, in a text editor.
2. Add "ExecCGI" option to the HTML documents (./htdocs) folder setting:
... <Directory "C:/local/apache/htdocs"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI ... </Directory> ...
3. Add ".pl" option to the "cgi-script" handler setting:
... AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl ...
4. Restart Apache HTTP Server.
5. Copy "hello_CGI.pl" to the c:\local\apache\htdocs, and try http://localhost/hello_CGI.pl with a Web browser. You should see "Hello world!" printed out.
Table of Contents