Outdated: Downloading and Installing JDK 1.6
This section describes how to download and install Java SE (JDK) 1.6 Update 2 on a Windows XP system.
To learn Java, you need to have a copy of JDK (Java Development Kit) installed on your machine.
The latest version of JDK is JDK 6u2 (Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 2),
which is also called Java SE 6 (Java Standard Edition 6). Here is what I did
to download and install JDK 6u2 on my local machine.
- Open the Java SE Download page with this URL: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/.
- Click the download button next to "JDK 6u2".
You will see a new page with a list of different download files of JDK 6u2.
- Locate the "Windows Platform - Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 2" section.
- Click the hyper link of "Windows Offline Installation (build 06), Multi-language",
which links to jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe with size of 65.57 MB.
- Save jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to a temporary directory.
- Double-click on jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to start the installation wizard.
- The installation wizard will guide you to finish the installation.
To test the installation, open a command window to try the java command.
If you are getting the following output, your installation was ok:
java version "1.6.0_02"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_02-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_02-b06, mixed mode,
Last update: 2007.
Table of Contents
About This Book
JDK - Java Development Kit
Execution Process, Entry Point, Input and Output
Primitive Data Types and Literals
Bits, Bytes, Bitwise and Shift Operations
Managing Bit Strings in Byte Arrays
Reference Data Types and Variables
StringBuffer - The String Buffer Class
System Properties and Runtime Object Methods
Generic Classes and Parameterized Types
Generic Methods and Type Inference
Lambda Expressions and Method References
Java Modules - Java Package Aggregation
Execution Threads and Multi-Threading Java Programs
ThreadGroup Class and "system" ThreadGroup Tree
Synchronization Technique and Synchronized Code Blocks
Deadlock Condition Example Programs
Garbage Collection and the gc() Method
Outdated: Downloading and Installing JDK 8
Outdated: Downloading and Installing JDK 1.7
►Outdated: Downloading and Installing JDK 1.6
Outdated: Downloading and Installing JDK 1.5
Outdated: JDK 1.3 Bug - Memory Leak With Unstarted Threads
Full Version in PDF/EPUB