What Is SWFTools?
This section describes what is a SWFTools - a collection of utilities that generate and manipulate Adobe Flash files (SWF files).
What Is SWFTools?
SWFTools is a collection of utilities for working with Adobe Flash files (SWF files).
The tool collection includes programs for reading SWF files, combining them, and
creating them from other content (like images, sound files, videos or sourcecode).
SWFTools is released under the GPL.
The current version of SWFTools is comprised of the programs detailed below:
- PDF2SWF - A PDF to SWF Converter. Generates one frame per page. Enables you to have fully formatted text, including tables, formulas, graphics etc. inside your Flash Movie. It's based on the xpdf PDF parser from Derek B. Noonburg.
- SWFCombine - A multi-function tool for inserting SWFs into Wrapper SWFs, concatenating SWFs, stacking SWFs or for basic parameter manipulation (e.g. changing size).
- SWFStrings - Scans SWFs for text data.
- SWFDump - Prints out various information about SWFs, like contained images/fonts/sounds, disassembly of contained code as well as cross-reference and bounding box data.
- JPEG2SWF - Takes one or more JPEG pictures and generates a SWF slideshow from them. Supports motion estimation compression (h.263) for better compression of video sequences.
- PNG2SWF - Like JPEG2SWF, only for PNGs.
- GIF2SWF - Converts GIFs to SWF. Also able to handle animated gifs.
- WAV2SWF - Converts WAV audio files to SWFs, using the L.A.M.E. MP3 encoder library.
- AVI2SWF - Converts AVI animation files to SWF. It supports Flash MX H.263 compression. Some examples can be found at examples.html. (Notice: this tool is not included anymore in the latest version, as ffmpeg do a better job nowadays)
- Font2SWF - Converts font files (TTF, Type1) to SWF.
- SWFBBox - Allows to read out, optimize and readjust SWF bounding boxes.
- SWFC - A tool for creating SWF files from simple script files. Includes support for both ActionScript 2.0 as well as ActionScript 3.0.
- SWFExtract - Allows to extract Movieclips, Sounds, Images etc. from SWF files.
- AS3Compile - A standalone ActionScript 3.0 compiler. Mostly compatible with Flex.
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of Adobe Flash
Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Firefox
Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Chrome
Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Safari
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX for IE
Using "object" Elements for Flash Files
Using "embed" Elements for Flash Files
"mp3player" - MP3 Music Player
Flash Player Projector
►SWFTools - SWF File Manipulation Tools
►What Is SWFTools?
Downloading and installing SWFTools
SWFDump - SWF File Dump Tool
"swfdump" - Dump SWF File Header
"swfdump -E" - Generate HTML Code
JPEG2SWF - JPEG to SWF File Conversion Tool
"jpeg2swf *.jpg" - Create a Slide Show
PDF2SWF - PDF to SWF File Conversion Tool
"pdf2swf" - Convert PDF to SWF
"master and slave" - Viewer and Page Frames
SWFCombine - SWF File Merging Tool
"swfcombine masterfile viewpoint=slavefile"
"swfcombine -a" - Concatenate SWF Files
"swfcombine -d" - Change Frame Rate and Size
SWFC Script to Generate Flash SWF Files
ActionScript Embedded in SWFC Script
AS3Compile - ActionScript 3 Compiler
Adobe Flex SDK 4
SWF File Structure and Tags
SWF File Processing Rules
SWF Files for Video and Audio Streams
PDF Printing Version