Ethereum Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Notes - Version 1.01, by Dr. Herong Yang
Export Private Key and Retire MetaMask
This section describes how to export the private key from MetaMask and stop using it.
If you are tired of using the MetaMask wallet, can export the private key from your MetaMask Account and stop using it.
1. On the MetaMask wallet, click "..." next to the account name.
2. Select "Export Private Key". You see the warning message: "Export private keys at your own risk". There is no risk of exporting the private key. The only risk is someone else gets a copy of your private key. He/she is able to transfer all the balance from your account to his/her account with your private key.
3. The password of your MetaMask wallet, and click "Submit". Your private key is partially displayed.
4. Click "Save as File" and give a file name like "E:\MetaMask Herong's Wallet Private Key" on a memory stick.
5. Keep the memory stick in a safe place. You can import the private any other Ethereum wallet when you want to spend any Ethers.
By the way, the public key of your account is not that important. It can be calculated from the private key.
Last update: 2018.
Table of Contents