Example of XSL-FO Document - hello.fo
This section provides a simple XSL-FO (XSL Formatting Objects) document, hello.fo.
Here is my first example of XSL-FO document, hello.fo:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="my_page" margin="0.5in">
- XSL-FO document is an XML document with the root element named as "fo:root".
- All the element names are prefixed with "fo:".
- Prefix "fo:" is associated with the XML name space: "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format".
This is done by the attribute, "xmlns:xsl" in the root element.
- Other "fo:" elements are used to provide page formatting information.
The next question is then do we have an application that can process this XSL-FO file
to format the embedded information? I tried the following:
- I don't know how to make IE to work with XSL-FO.
- I don't know how to make XML Spy to work with XSL-FO. It can be used to edit
XSL-FO files. But how to preview the formatted output?
- I searched the Internet and located FOP from Apache. It can be used to format XSL-FO file
into PDF files.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Ideas on Publishing Books using XML
Overview of hyPub - A Simple XML Publishing Tool
Writing Book Contents in XHTML Source Files
Transforming Book Source Files with XSL Technology
Designing Web Page Layouts with Tables
Controlling Web Page Appearance with CSS
Generating Web Pages with hyPub
►Formatting Printable Documents with XSL-FO
What Is XSL-FO (XSL Formatting Objects)
►Example of XSL-FO Document - hello.fo
Installing Apache FOP - XSL-FO Processor
Formatting XSL-FO Files to Text Files Using FOP
Formatting XSL-FO Files to PDF Files Using FOP
Formatting XML Files to PDF Files with XSLT
Tranforming XML Files with XSLT Stylesheets
Generating PDF Documents with hyPub
Areas of Future Improvements
Full Version in PDF/ePUB