"Hello world!" Example of XSD
This section describes a simple example of XSD called 'Hello World'.
Before getting into details of XSD specifications,
let's look at a simple example of an XML schema defined in XSD language, hello.xsd:
<xsd:element name="p" type="xsd:string"/>
- This XSD file is a true XML document with the root element named as "schema".
- This XSD file contains one single "Element Declaration" statement <element ...>.
- The "Element Declaration" statement declares that the conforming XML documents must have a root element named as "p".
- The "Element Declaration" statement also declares that the root element "p" should have content of XSD "string" type.
Obviously, hello.xsd is a very simple XML schema. Writing an XML document that conforms to hello.xsd is easy.
There is an example, hello.xml
Let's validate hello.xml against hello.xsd manually:
- hello.xml has a root element of "p" which matches the name declared in hello.xsd.
- The content of "p" is a string, "Hello world!", which matches the datatype declared in hello.xsd.
Now we can say that hello.xml is a valid document, conforming to hello.xsd.
Last update: 2013.
Table of Contents
About This Book
►Introduction to XML Schema
What Is XSD (XML Schema Definition)?
►"Hello world!" Example of XSD
XML Schema Processors
XML Editor and Schema Processor - XMLPad
Java API for XML Processing - JAXP
JAXP - XML Schema (XSD) Validation
Xerces2 Java Parser - Java API of XML Parsers
Using Xerces2 Java API
XML Schema Language - Basics
Introduction of XSD Built-in Datatypes
"string" and Its Derived Datatypes
"decimal" and Its Derived Datatypes
"dateTime" and Its Related Datatypes
Miscellaneous Built-in Datatypes
Facets, Constraining Facets and Restriction Datatypes
"simpleType" - Defining Your Own Simple Datatypes
Complex Element Declaration
Identity-Constraints: unique, key and keyref
Assertion as Custom Validation Rules
XML Schema Location and Namespace in XML Documents
Overriding Element Types in XML Documents
Linking Multiple Schema Documents Together
PDF Printing Version