What Is XSD (XML Schema Definition)?
This section provides a quick introduction of XSD (XML Schema Definition) - a language that can be used to define a schema for XML documents.
What Is XSD (XML Schema Definition):
XSD is a language that can be used to define a schema for XML documents.
XSD itself is an XML based language. All XSD statements are written in XML format.
If an XML document is said to be valid against a XSD schema, all elements, attributes and entities in the XML document
must meet their declared formats described in the XSD schema.
Main features of XSD:
- XSD is an XML based language, meaning than XSD statements will be written in XML
- One "schema" statement defines one schema.
- Within the "schema" statement, "element", "simpleType", and "complexType" statements are included
to define details of the schema.
- XSD statements that define the schema can be included inside the XML file.
- XSD statements that define the schema can be stored as a separate file and linked to the XML file.
Here is an example of XSD schema:
<xsd:element name="p" type="xsd:string"/>
This example shows:
- A schema is defined.
- The element "p" is defined to have "string" as its text content with no sub elements and attributes.
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of XML (eXtensible Markup Language)
XML File Syntax
XML File Browsers
DOM (Document Object Model) Programming Interface
SAX (Simple API for XML) Programming Interface
DTD (Document Type Definition) Introduction
Syntaxes of DTD Statements
Validating an XML Document against the Specified DTD Document Type
►XSD (XML Schema Definition) Introduction
►What Is XSD (XML Schema Definition)?
XML Files with Embedded XSD Statements
XML Files with Linked External XSD Files
Validating an XML File against a XSD Schema
Syntaxes of XSD Statements
Validating XML Documents Against Specified XML Schemas
XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language) Introduction
XSLT (XSL Transformations) Introduction
Java Implementation of XSLT
XPath (XML Path) Language
XSLT Elements as Programming Statements
Control and Generate XML Element in the Result
XML Notepad - XML Editor
XML Tools Plugin for Notepad++
XML 1.1 Changes and Parsing Examples
PDF Printing Version