XML Files with Embedded DTD Statements
This section provides a tutorial example on how to include DTD statements inside XML files. Embedded DTD statements should appear after the 'xml' process instruction and before the root element.
The easiest way to associate a document type to an XML file is to include all DTD statements that define the document type
inside the XML file.
Here is my "Hello world!" XML file with DTD statements embedded internally, hello_int_dtd.xml:
<!DOCTYPE p [
<!ELEMENT p ANY>
- A document type (DOCTYPE) declaration statement is added right below the
"xml" process instruction.
- The DOCTYPE statement specifies that "p" is the name of the root element.
- The DOCTYPE statement specifies that all other DTD statements are enclosed in this
statement enclosed by "[" and "]".
- Only one other DTD statement used here, which is an ELEMENT statement. It specifies that the "p" element can have
"ANY" thing as its body.
- Obviously, the XML document below DTD statements is valid against the defined document type.
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of XML (eXtensible Markup Language)
XML File Syntax
XML File Browsers
DOM (Document Object Model) Programming Interface
SAX (Simple API for XML) Programming Interface
►DTD (Document Type Definition) Introduction
What Is DTD (Document Type Definition)?
►XML Files with Embedded DTD Statements
XML Files with Linked External DTD Files
Validating an XML File against a DTD Document Type
Syntaxes of DTD Statements
Validating an XML Document against the Specified DTD Document Type
XSD (XML Schema Definition) Introduction
Syntaxes of XSD Statements
Validating XML Documents Against Specified XML Schemas
XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language) Introduction
XSLT (XSL Transformations) Introduction
Java Implementation of XSLT
XPath (XML Path) Language
XSLT Elements as Programming Statements
Control and Generate XML Element in the Result
XML Notepad - XML Editor
XML Tools Plugin for Notepad++
XML 1.1 Changes and Parsing Examples
Full Version in PDF/EPUB