Most Popular Sorting Algorithms
This section describes some most popular sorting algorithms - Selection Sort, Insertion Sort, Bubble Sort, Quicksort, Merge Sort, Heap Sort and Shell Sort.
There are many sorting algorithms have been developed over the years. I will only try
to cover the following popular ones in this book:
- Insertion Sort - A simple and slow sorting algorithm that repeatedly takes
the next element from the un-sorted section and inserts it into the sorted section
at the correct position.
- Selection Sort - A simple and slow sorting algorithm that repeatedly selects
the lowest or highest element from the un-sorted section and moves it to
the end of the sorted section.
- Bubble Sort - A simple and slow sorting algorithm that repeatedly steps through
the collection, compares each pair of adjacent elements and swaps them
if they are in the wrong order.
- Quicksort - A complex and fast sorting algorithm that repeatedly divides an un-sorted
section into a lower order sub-section and a higher order sub-section by comparing to a pivot element.
- Merge Sort - A complex and fast sorting algorithm that repeatedly divides an un-sorted
section into two equal sub-sections, sorts them separately and merges them correctly.
- Heap Sort - A complex and fast sorting algorithm that organizes original collection
into a heap which is a binary tree with every node higher that its children in order,
then repeatedly takes the root node to the end of the sorted section and rebuilds the heap
with remaining notes.
- Shell Sort - A complex and fast sorting algorithm that repeatedly divides the entire collection
into sub-collections by taking every h-th element for a fixed gap h and performs an insertion sort
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents
About This Book
►Introduction of Sorting Algorithms
What Is Sorting?
Why Sorting Is Needed?
►Most Popular Sorting Algorithms
Java API for Sorting Algorithms
Insertion Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Selection Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Bubble Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Quicksort Algorithm and Implementation
Merge Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Heap Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Shell Sort Algorithm and Implementation
Performance Summary of Java Implementations
PDF Printing Version