PKI Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 2.04, by Dr. Herong Yang
Outdated: Windows XP Component - Removing "Update Root Certificates"
This section provides a tutorial example on how to remove the 'Update Root Certificates' component from Windows XP system to stop root certificates getting into your computer automatically.
From the previous tutorial, we now know that IE 8 works with Windows XP "Update Root Certificates" component to automatically install root certificates on my computer.
If you think this is a bad idea because of security concerns, you can disable the "Update Root Certificates" component to stop root certificates getting into your computer automatically.
1. Click "Start" button, then click "Control Panel" in the menu.
2. Double-click "Add or Remove Programs" on Control Panel.
3. Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" in the menu on the left side. The Windows Component Wizard shows up.
4. Scroll down the list of components to find "Update Root Certificates", and uncheck the check box next to "Update Root Certificates":
5. Click "Next", then click "Finish".
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents