Usage Examples of Public Key Infrastructure
This section provides some usage examples of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure), like HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) protocol, digital signature, encryption of documents, digital identification.
The most popular usage example of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) is the HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) protocol.
HTTPS is a combination of the HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) and SSL/TLS (Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security)
protocols to provide encrypted communication and secure identification of a Web server.
In HTTPS, the Web server's PKI certificate is used by the browser for two purposes:
- Validate the identity of the Web server by verify the CA's digital signature in the certificate.
- Encrypt a secret key to be securely delivered to the Web server. The secret key will be used to encrypt actual data
to be exchanged between the browser and the Web server.
Other usage examples of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) are:
- Digital signature - The sender of a digital message uses his/her private key
to generate a digital signature attached to the message. The receiver uses the sender's certificate
to verify the digital signature to ensure the message was sent by the claimed sender.
- Encryption of documents - The sender of a digital message uses the receiver's certificate to encrypt the message
to protect the confidentiality of the message. Only the receiver who can use his/her private key decrypt the message.
- Digital identification - User's certificate is stored in a smart card to be used to verify card holder's identities.
Last update: 2011.
Table of Contents
About This Book
►Introduction of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure)
What Is PKI (Public Key Infrastructure)?
►Usage Examples of Public Key Infrastructure
Most Popular Certificate Authorities
Introduction of HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
Using HTTPS with IE (Internet Explorer) 10
Using HTTPS with Chrome 40
Using HTTPS with Firefox 35
Perl Scripts Communicating with HTTPS Servers
PHP Scripts Communicating with HTTPS Servers
Java Programs Communicating with HTTPS Servers
Certificate Stores and Certificate Console
.NET Programs Communicating with HTTPS Servers
CAcert.org - Root CA Offering Free Certificates
PKI CA Administration - Issuing Certificates
Digital Signature - Microsoft Word 2007
Digital Signature - OpenOffice.org 3
S/MIME and Email Security
PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) Terminology
PDF Printing Version