jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
This chapter provides tutorial notes on the JVM visual tool, Java VisualVM. Topics include launching Java VisualVM, connecting to local JVM processes; monitoring CPU and heap usage; monitoring thread statuses; taking thread dumps and heap dumps; viewing heap dump and object contents; connecting to remote JVM with jstatd or JMX; installing Visual GC.
What Is jvisualvm (Java VisualVM)?
jvisualvm Command to Open Dump Files or Conections
Connecting Java VisualVM to a Local JVM Process
Monitoring Usgaes of CPU, Heap, Classes and Threads
Monitoring Thread Status as Timeline
Taking Thread Dump to See Thread Stack Traces
Taking Heap Dump to See Memory Usages
Viewing a Heap Dump File
Connecting to Remote JVM Processes
Avaible Plugins and Installation
Installing Visual GC Plugin
- Java VisualVM is a nice and free tool to monitor or troubleshoot a JVM process.
- Connecting to JVM processes on the local machine is easy and straightforward.
- Connecting to JVM processes on a remote machine requires a jstatd or JMX agent setup.
- Java VisualVM can be used to take and view thread dump to find out what's going with thread execution.
- Java VisualVM can be used to take and view heap dump to find out what's going with object memory usage.
- Visual GC plugin allows you to monitor GC activities.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Java Tools Terminology
Installing Java 8 on Windows
'javac' - The Java Program Compiler
'java' - The Java Program Launcher
'jdb' - The Java Debugger
'jconsole' - Java Monitoring and Management Console
'jstat' - JVM Statistics Monitoring Tool
JVM Troubleshooting Tools
►jvisualvm (Java VisualVM) - JVM Visual Tool
'jar' - The JAR File Tool
'javap' - The Java Class File Disassembler
'keytool' - Public Key Certificate Tool
'native2ascii' - Native-to-ASCII Encoding Converter
PDF Printing Version