JDBC Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.03, by Dr. Herong Yang
MySQL 5.5 Download, Installation and Start
This section describes how to download, install and start MySQL 5.5 server on Windows systems.
MySQL is an open source database management system developed by MySQL AB, http://www.mysql.com. You can download a copy and install it on your local Windows system very easily. Here is what I did to download and install MySQL 5.5 Community Server on my Windows system:
1. Go to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.5.html.
2. Go to "MySQL Community Server 5.5.15" section and click the Download button on the "Windows (x86, 32-bit), ZIP Archive - 5.5.15 - 133.4M" line.
3. Login or register yourself to mysql.com and then select a download mirror site
4. Save the downloaded file, mysql-5.5.15-win32.zip (139,896,749 bytes), to the \temp folder on your hard disk.
5. Unzip mysql-5.5.15-win32.zip, then move the output folder from \temp\mysql-5.5.15-win32 to \local\mysql.
6. Open a command window and run "\local\mysql\bin\mysqld" to start MySQL server:
C:>\local\mysql\bin\mysqld --console nnnnnn 20:34:46 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled. nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use Windows interlocked functions nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3 nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool InnoDB: The first specified data file .\ibdata1 did not exist: InnoDB: a new database to be created! nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Setting file .\ibdata1 size to 10 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... nnnnnn 20:34:47 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... nnnnnn 20:34:48 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created InnoDB: 127 rollback segment(s) active. InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created nnnnnn 20:34:50 InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start nnnnnn 20:34:51 InnoDB: 1.1.8 started; log sequence number 0 nnnnnn 20:34:52 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events nnnnnn 20:34:52 [Note] mysqld: ready for connections. Version: '5.5.15' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)
7. Open another command window and run "\local\mysql\bin\mysqladmin" to administrate MySQL server:
\local\mysql\bin\mysqladmin ping mysqld is alive
Congratulations, MySQL 5.5 Community Server is running on the local computer now.
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents