HTML Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 2.01, by Dr. Herong Yang
Differences between HTML5 and HTML 4
This section provides a list of differences between HTML5 and HTML 4.
Main differences between HTML5 and from HTML 4.01 are:
1. New parsing rules: oriented towards flexible parsing and compatibility, not based on SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language).
2. Ability to use inline SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) and MathML (Mathematical Markup Language) in text/html.
3. New elements: article, aside, audio, bdi, canvas, command, data, datalist, details, embed, figcaption, figure, footer, header, keygen, mark, meter, nav, output, progress, rp, rt, ruby, section, source, summary, time, track, video, wbr.
4. New types of form controls: dates and times, email, url, search, number, range, tel, color.
5. New attributes: charset (on meta), async (on script)
6. Global attributes (that can be applied for every element): id, tabindex, hidden, data-* (custom data attributes)
7. Deprecated elements will be dropped altogether: acronym, applet, basefont, big, center, dir, font, frame, frameset, isindex, noframes, strike, tt
Last update: 2014.
Table of Contents