Ethereum Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 1.02, by Dr. Herong Yang
What Is Ethereum Account
This section describes what is an Ethereum Account.
An Ethereum account is actually a pair of public key and private key.
Here are some terminologies related to Ethereum account:
1. Account Address - The public key of the Ethereum account which uniquely identifies the account.
2. Account Private Key - A random number generated by the Ethereum private key algorithm. The private key is used to sign transactions that spend Ethers associated with the account address.
3. Account Public Key - A number calculated from the private key, The public key is used to verify the signature of the spending transaction.
4. Account Keystore File - A file that stores the private key in JSON format. The keystore file is usually password protected.
5. Ethereum Wallet - A user tool that manages Ethereum accounts, verify account balances, submit spending transactions to Ethereum networks. Ethereum is usualy password protected.
6. Account Secret Phrase - A group of multiple words generated by some Ethereum wallets. Account Secret Phrase is used to recover access to the Ethereum wallet, in case you lost the password.
Last update: 2018.
Table of Contents