Cryptography Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 5.35, by Dr. Herong Yang
Steps of Using DES Algorithm in JDK JCE
This section describes how to use DES algorithm provided in the JDK JCE package. Steps include building a secret key object from key material; creating and initializing a cipher object.
To use DES algorithm in the JDK JCE package, we need to use several JCE classes and follow the steps:
1. Creating a DESKeySpec object from a 8-byte key material by calling the javax.crypto.spec.DESKeySpec constructor.
2. Creating a SecretKeyFactory object with DES algorithm name, mode name, and padding name by calling the javax.crypto.SecretKeyFactory.getInstance() static method.
3. Converting the DESKeySpec object to a SecretKey object through the SecretKeyFactory object by calling the javax.crypto.SecretKeyFactory.generateSecret() method.
4. Creating a Cipher object with DES algorithm name, mode name, and padding name by calling the javax.crypto.Cipher.getInstance() static method.
5. Initializing the Cipher object with the SecretKey object by calling the javax.crypto.Cipher.init() method.
6. Ciphering through input data as byte arrays by calling the javax.crypto.Cipher.update() method.
7. Finalizing the ciphering process by calling the javax.crypto.Cipher.doFinal() method.
Table of Contents