Linux Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v1.32, by Dr. Herong Yang
"Alpine" - Terminal-Based Email Client
Provides a tutorial example on how to install and use 'mailx' on CentOS computers to read and send emails locally or remotely via IMAP/POP and SMTP protocols.
What Is "Alpine"? - "Alpine", a replacement for "pine", is an open-source terminal-based email client for Linux systems. Here is what I did to test it out.
1. Install "Alpine" on CentOS computer.
herong$ sudo dnf install alpine
2. Enter "alpine" to start Alpine. It will automatically find and open the Maildir/ email box.
3. Enter "L" on the main screen to list email folders. I see only "INBOX" folder.
4. Select "INBOX" folder. I see a list of emails.
5. Select an email. I see the content of the selected email.
6. Enter "R" to reply to the selected email.
7. Enter "C" to compose a new email.
Ok. Not too bad. I can use it to get all my email tasks done.
Table of Contents