JDBC for Oracle - Herong's Tutorial Examples - v3.12, by Herong Yang
Oracle Database Express Edition (XE) Installation
This section describes how to download, install, and start Oracle Database Express Edition (XE) on a Windows computer.
Oracle is now offering a free release called Oracle Database Express Edition (XE), which is a great starter database for any Java JDBC developers who wants to try it on their own system.
Here is what I did to download and install Oracle Database 21c Express Edition on my Windows computer:
1. Go to Oracle Express Edition Website at https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/xe.html.
2. Click the "Download Oracle Database XE" button, and select "Oracle Database 21c Express Edition for Windows x64" to start the download.
3. Save the downloaded file, OracleXE213_Win64.zip (1,967,615,483), to \temp folder.
4. Unzip the downloaded file to \temp\oracle folder.
5. Double click the \temp\oracle\setup.exe. The installation wizard starts. Follow instructions given by the wizard to continue.
6. Enter "HerongY@ng" as admin password, and select \local\oraclexe as the installation destination folder. You should see the following on the confirmation screen:
Destination Folder: C:\local\orablexe\ Oracle Home: C:\local\orablexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\ Oracle Base: C:\local\orablexe\ Port for 'Oracle Database Listener': 1521 Port for 'Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server': 2030
7. Click "Next" to finish the installation. Oracle Database XE is a large software and it will take a long time to install.
By default, Oracle XE server will be started automatically after the installation.
To manage Oracle XE server, Click on "Start > All Programs > Oracle OraDB21Home1 > Instance Manager". You will see the default "OracleServiceXE" service running under the default "OraDB21Home1" instance.
To shutdown and start Oracle XE server, select "OracleServiceXE" service and click "Action > Shutdown|Start" menu.
Table of Contents