Firefox Extension - Gmail S/MIME
This section describes the Firefox extension, Gmail S/MIME, which allows you to send/receive signed and encrypted emails in Gmail using Firefox.
If you are a Gmail user, you can install the Firefox extension "Gmail S/MIME", which allows you
to send/receive signed and encrypted S/MIME messages in Gmail using Firefox.
Here are main steps to install "Gmail S/MIME" and use it on Firefox 3:
- 1. Obtain your personal certificate with private-public key pair from a trusted root CA.
- 2. Install your personal certificate with private-public key pair into Firefox 3.
- 3. Download and install the latest version of Firefox extension "Gmail S/MIME" from
- 4. Log in to your Gmail account and create a new email message.
- 5. Click the "Sign" icon to add your digital signature to this new email message.
- 7. Click the "Send", Gmail will ask for the password if your personal certificate is password protected.
You can also click "Padlock" icon to encrypt any new email message.
I will add more tutorial example on Gmail S/MIME later.
Last update: 2011.
Table of Contents
About This Book
Introduction of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure)
Introduction of HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
Using HTTPS with Google Chrome
Using HTTPS with Mozilla Firefox
HTTPS with IE (Internet Explorer)
Perl Scripts Communicating with HTTPS Servers
PHP Scripts Communicating with HTTPS Servers
Java Programs Communicating with HTTPS Servers
Windows Certificate Stores and Console
.NET Programs Communicating with HTTPS Servers
CAcert.org - Root CA Offering Free Certificates
PKI CA Administration - Issuing Certificates
Comodo Free Personal Certificate
Digital Signature - Microsoft Word
Digital Signature - OpenOffice.org 3
►S/MIME and Email Security
What Is S/MIME?
Digital Signature Scheme for Email Messages
A Simple Email Message Example
Email Messages with Attachments using MIME
Email Messages with Digital Signatures using S/MIME
Encrypted Email Messages using S/MIME
Digital Signature and Encryption in Outlook
Email Security Settings in Outlook
Valid Certificate Required in Outlook
Message Security Properties in Outlook 2007
►Firefox Extension - Gmail S/MIME
PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) Terminology
Full Version in PDF/EPUB