MySQL Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 4.20, by Dr. Herong Yang
Outdated: Installing MySQL 5.5.15
A tutorial example is provided on how to install MySQL 5.5.15 on a Windows system.
1. Go to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.5.html.
2. Go to "MySQL Community Server 5.5.15" section and click the Download button on the "Windows (x86, 32-bit), ZIP Archive - 5.5.15 - 133.4M" line.
3. Login or register yourself to mysql.com and then select a download mirror site
4. Save the downloaded file, mysql-5.5.15-win32.zip (139,896,749 bytes), to the root folder, \, on your hard disk.
5. Unzip mysql-5.5.15-win32.zip and then rename the output folder from \mysql-5.5.15-win32 to \mysql.
6. Open a command window and run "\mysql\bin\mysqld" to start MySQL server:
\mysql\bin\mysqld --console nnnnnn 20:34:46 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled. nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use Windows interlocked functions nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3 nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool InnoDB: The first specified data file .\ibdata1 did not exist: InnoDB: a new database to be created! nnnnnn 20:34:46 InnoDB: Setting file .\ibdata1 size to 10 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... nnnnnn 20:34:47 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... nnnnnn 20:34:48 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait... InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created InnoDB: 127 rollback segment(s) active. InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created nnnnnn 20:34:50 InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start nnnnnn 20:34:51 InnoDB: 1.1.8 started; log sequence number 0 nnnnnn 20:34:52 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events nnnnnn 20:34:52 [Note] mysqld: ready for connections. Version: '5.5.15' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)
7. Open another command window and run "\mysql\bin\mysqladmin" to administrate MySQL server:
\mysql\bin\mysqladmin ping mysqld is alive \mysql\bin\mysqladmin shutdown --user=root
If you see the MySQL server printing notice and shutting down in the first command window, you know that you have installed MySQL 5.5 correctly.
Table of Contents