JDBC Tutorials - Herong's Tutorial Examples - Version 3.03, by Dr. Herong Yang
Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (XE) Installation
This section describes how to download, install, and start Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (XE).
Oracle is now offering a free release called Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (XE), which is a great starter database for any Java JDBC developers who wants to try it on their own system.
Here is what I did to download and install Oracle Database 11g Express Edition on my Windows XP system:
1. Go to the Oracle Express Edition page.
2. Click on "Downloads" and select "Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 for Windows x32" to start the download.
3. Save the downloaded file, OracleXE112_Win32.zip (216,933,372 bytes), to \temp folder.
4. Unzip the downloaded file to \temp\oracle folder.
5. Double click the \temp\oracle\DISK1\setup.exe. The installation wizard starts. Follow instructions given by the wizard to continue.
6. Enter "HerongY@ng" as admin password, and select \local\oraclexe as the installation destination folder. You should see the following on the confirmation screen:
Destination Folder: C:\local\orablexe\ Oracle Home: C:\local\orablexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\ Oracle Base:C:\local\orablexe\ Port for 'Oracle Database Listener': 1521 Port for 'Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server': 2030 Port for 'Oracle HTTP Listener': 8080
7. Click "Next" to finish the installation.
To start Oracle XE server, Click on Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 11g Express Edition > Start Database.
To stop Oracle XE server, Click on Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 11g Express Edition > Stop Database.
Last update: 2015.
Table of Contents